Wednesday 9 March 2011

My Experiences With Engineering Graduates! - A Glimpse of "Tell me about Yourself" Question - A Wednesday Article


An aspirant from a remote area of East Coast of Andhra Pradesh attended on an interview many days ago. One of my clients hired 
me to recruit software engineers to work on Java Platform. I could not remember his name.

After a few minutes of interaction, I asked him

“Are you comfortable with English Language?”

It’s a just question to know his language proficiency. But the guy began to give me a complete picture burning in his heart. His face turned into reddish. His breath also slowly began to make sound with temper. His eyes turned into serious play.

“Sir! I came from rural background. There are no any facilities to learn and develop our Language Skills. We need to travel around 20 km daily to reach a town. But there are also no any coaching centers to teach us English Language. We need to come Guntur to learn English, which is far away from our college and to travel 5 hours because we have only two buses of APSRTC morning and evening. So I could not learn English Language”

(He blamed his native place, his college town and the APSRTC – but as per his analysis it is not his fault for his zero performance in language proficiency)

I astonished. He is an MCA aspirant. He completed his Post Graduation in English Medium. He is in this course around Three years.

How did he complete his PG in English Medium?
How did he understand the lessons or teaching in English?

I messed up with these questions. I could not find any reason or answer for my queries. So I decided to ask him the same questions. I asked, and then he answered me,

“I am comfortable with academic subjects as our lecturers teach us in Telugu and we study books in English Language, but we can’t speak in English.

OMG!

The teaching in Telugu is just dubbing Text books by Faculty!

“What’s about your Language Labs sessions? Are your lecturers not teaching you English?”
I asked,

“No sir, they never teach us anything even subjects also. In English Lab our Madam (English Professor) ask us to speak in English. But, nobody comes forward to speak on dais as we have stage fear. Madam explains and asks us to hear some of CDs of Language and that’s it sir. “
(Again blaming faculty)

“That’s why we are poor in English Language.” He added.

The thing is here he has an intention to blame his situations rather than looking into himself. He blamed his native place. He blamed his college teaching patterns. Ok , the reasons  mentioned are oblivious and true. But these reasons may not support to get an opportunity to get an employment. The companies required an aspirant who could be expressive in International Language.

The one thing we need to remember is that – who could be the victim?
In interviews we should not blame the circumstances. The HRs considers these types of candidates as inefficient and negative mentalities.

Everybody knows what happens in rural areas. But these are not the appropriate reasons for lack of International Language and nobody going to hear our voice at the platform of MNC selections. Its our responsibility to make up ourselves to fit at Global Parameters.
And remember that –it’s not the correct answer for the question “Tell me about yourself?”

To be continued next week of the same day............................Jai